Educational Benefits for Active-Duty Military

If you're active duty or serving in the National Guard or Reserves and using Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) educational benefits, read on to learn more about how to make the most of this aid.

Most veterans use the Post-9/11 GI Bill, which offers tuition, a housing allowance and a book stipend. It's important that you understand your educational benefit and your local Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) rates to ensure you're maximizing your housing allowance. If you're attending a rural campus, for example, the Montgomery GI Bill may actually be a better benefit for you. 

If you're a veteran with a 20 percent or greater disability rating, you may be eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment.

Active-duty military and National Guard and Reserve may also be eligible for military tuition assistance (sometimes called MilTA or just TA). 

To learn more about your eligibility for tuition assistance, contact your unit education officer or NCO. The links below provide service-specific information on assistance, too.

Active-duty military can also apply for federal, state and university financial aid