Financial Aid FAQs for Undocumented Students

Undocumented students with confirmed Nonresident Tuition Exemption (AB540) eligibility status may be eligible for state and institutional financial aid.

The priority application date for 2024-25 is May 2, 2024. If you miss this date, you may still be eligible for financial aid—submit your application as soon as possible.

For additional information about CSU financial aid, please visit the Financial Aid for Undocumented Students and the Financial Aid FAQs sections of Calstate.edu​.

Who should apply for financial aid with the California Dream Act Application (CADAA)? 

You are eligible to apply for aid with the California Dream Act Application (CADAA) if you:


The California Student Aid Commission provides guidance on who is eligible to use the CADAA.

What if I am a U.S. citizen but my parents are not?

Your parents' (or spouse's) citizenship or immigration status does not affect your eligibility for federal student aid. If you are a U.S. citizen, you should apply for financial aid with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Federal Student Aid provides application guidance for students whose Contributors (such as parents or a spouse) do not have Social Security numbers.

What if I don't have a Social Security number?

Undocumented students do not need a Social Security number (SSN) to apply for financial aid using the CADAA.

How do I complete the CADAA?

To complete the 2024-25 CADAA, you will need information from your 2022 income and tax documents. This may include:

  • Tax records
  • Records of child support received
  • Current balances of cash, savings and checking accounts
  • Net worth of investments, businesses and farms

You may also need the 2022 income and tax information of your parents/guardians (if you are considered a dependent student) or your spouse (if you are married).

What is Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)?

Individuals who came to the United States as children and meet the established federal guidelines may request consideration of deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) protection. Students who have DACA status should file for financial aid using the CADAA.

Please note that DACA status does not guarantee eligibility for financial aid. Students must also meet the Nonresident Tuition Exemption eligibility criteria under AB 540, SB 2000 or SB 68.

Can a permanent resident apply for the Nonresident Tuition (AB540) Exemption?

Yes. The Nonresident Tuition Exemption is open to CSU students who are (or will be) enrolled as undergraduate or graduate students who are:

What should I do if I missed the 2024-25 priority deadline of May 2, 2024?

You may still be eligible for some types of financial aid. Submit your CADAA as soon as possible to be considered for potential sources of financial aid.

What should I do if I filed the wrong financial aid application?

Whether you filed the FAFSA when you should have filed the CADAA, or you filed the CADAA when you should have filed the FAFSA, the correction process is the same. File the California Student Aid Commission's Application Conversion Form (G-55) to reprocess your financial aid application. It is important to make this correction as soon as possible so you may be considered for Cal Grants, the Middle Class Scholarship and/or the Chafee Grant.

What happens after I file the CADAA? 

The California Student Aid Commission will send you an email with your nine-digit Dream ID number. You will use your Dream ID number to create an online account at WebGrants 4 Students, where you can check the status of your Cal Grant eligibility.

The financial aid office(s) at the campus(es) you listed on your application will receive an electronic copy of the information you provided. The financial aid office(s) may contact you for additional information regarding your application for aid and/or to advise you about when to expect your financial aid award information.

I made a mistake in my CADAA. How do I correct it?

Log in to your CADAA account and navigate to the Dream Act Correction Screen to make any necessary changes.

Where can I get more information about applying for financial aid?

Consult the list of California Dream Act Frequently Asked Questions on the California Student Aid Commission website for more information.

For campus-specific information, visit the financial aid office(s) for the campus(es) you’re interested in or the campus you attend: