Financial Aid for Foster Youth

​​Students who are current or former foster youth are eligible for a variety of types of financial assistance to pay for college, including the CSU Tuition Waiver for Current & Former Foster Care Recipients

Be sure to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every year. And for students who may not qualify for Federal Student Aid, you may still be eligible for other aid through the California Dream Act (CADA).

If you identify as an “independent student" based on your current or former foster youth status, you may be eligible for state, federal and/or university financial aid.​​

Foster Care and Legal Guardianship Verification

If on your FAFSA application you responded “yes” to the question, “At any time since you turned 13, were both of your parents deceased; were you in foster care; or were you a dependent or ward of the court?”, you must provide documentation of your status to complete your FAFSA application.

Your campus's financial aid office and campus foster youth program will request proof of your foster care or legal guardianship status. Ask your social worker to provide you with a copy of your Ward of the Court letter in advance to prevent a delay in receiving aid.