A grant is given by the federal government, the state or the CSU as a gift; you don’t need to repay a grant or work to earn the money. The federal grants listed below are the most common, but there are others you may be eligible for.

Federal Pell Grants

Pell Grants are typically awarded only to undergraduate students without​ a bachelor's degree.​

Federal Supplemental Educational ​Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

You may be eligible to receive between $100 and $4,000 a year from this grant.

Learn About the FSEOG

The TEACH Grant

Students who receive the TEACH grant must agree to teach in a high-need field for at least four years.

Learn About the TEACH Grant​​​

​State Grants

Cal Grants

To qualify for a Cal Grant, you must be a California resident and meet other eligibility, financial and GPA requirements.

Learn About Cal Grants

Middle Class Scholarship

The State of California is currently evaluating MCS for changes to the program. ​California's Middle Class Scholarship provides a scholarship to undergraduate students with a family income/asse​ts of up to $184,000 for 2021-2022 academic year.​​

Learn About the Middle Class Scholarship​​

​​CSU Grants​

State University Grant (SUG)

These need-based awards — administered by the CSU — are given to eligible undergraduate and graduate students.

Learn About the SUG Program

Doctoral Grants

The CSU offers grants to doctoral candidates in nursing, education and physical therapy.

Learn About Doctoral Grants​ ​

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) Grant

​This CSU-administered grant is designed to improve access and retention of students who are low-income and/or educationally disadvantaged.