California Residency for Tuition Purposes

Find information about how California residency is determined, how to file an appeal if you're classified as a nonresident, exceptions and exemptions, and more. 

What is “Residency for Tuition Purposes?”

Residency for tuition purposes determines whether a student pays in-state or out-of-state tuition fees, not if a student is a resident of California.​​

​​Get Answers to Residency Questions


Classification: Determination of Residency

What is the difference between an initial classification of residency and a reclassification?

​​Explore Classification vs. Reclassification


Exceptions & Exemptions

Students who are not classified as California residents for tuiti​on purposes may qualify for an exception or exemption.

Learn Whether You Qualify 

Filing a Residency Appeal

Any student may submit an online appeal of their residence classification within 30 days, but ONLY if certain criteria are met.

Learn About Appeals

Campus Admissions Offices

Each campus admissions office is responsible for determining the residency status of all new and returning students.

Contact a Campus


These documents enable you to share information about your residency status, file an appeal and more.

Find the Forms You Need