Resources for Counselors

Federal Grants

Federal Pell Grant Program

The Federal Pell Grant is the primary federal grant and is intended to assist eligible low- and middle-income students to attend a college or university of their choice. The primary federal grant is the Pell Grant. Pell Grants are available to undergraduate students depending on their level of financial need. In addition, students who qualify for a Pell Grant may be eligible for the SEOG (Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant).

Institutional Grant Programs

Most schools also have need-based grant/scholarship programs to assist with tuition fees and other expenses. Students should check with the schools they are considering. In addition, some state and private aid programs have priority deadline dates and may require an additional form(s). High school counselors, college financial aid offices, or state scholarship/grant agencies can provide the deadline dates and the required forms.

California College Tuition Fee Waiver for Veterans' Dependents

The California College Tuition Fee Waiver (CFW) program for Veterans' Dependents waives mandatory system wide tuition and fees at any California Community College, California State University, or University of California. This program does not cover the costs of books and parking. There are four plans that eligible dependents may fall into. For more information regarding eligibility, please visit the California Association of County Veterans Service Officers website or the veterans' office at the destination CSU.