Potential Host Sites
"CSU STEM VISTA members have yielded exceptional growth and increased capacity within San Jose State's Computer Science and Cybersecurity-focused outreach programs. Forty SJSU service-learners participated in STEM outreach programs attracting more than 400 youth (70% girls) into CS and Cybersecurity disciplines." - Dr. Virginia Lehmkuhl-Dakhwe, director, Jay Pinson STEM Education Program
The CSU STEM VISTA program is always interested in connecting with individuals interested in increasing the academic and professional success of our CSU STEM students. We will release the 2017-2018 RFP in late October 2016. In the meantime, if you would like to learn more about our program please contact Kristina Barger, VISTA Program Manager.
In partnership with the Corporation for National and Community Service, the overall goal of CSU STEM VISTA is to increase student success in STEM, at the college and/or K-12 level, through participation in engaging, hands-on learning experiences, such as service learning, internships, learning communities, and undergraduate research, referred to as high-impact practices (HIPs). The program focuses on increasing the pursuit, persistence, and graduation rates of women, low-income, first generation, and students of color.
The CSU STEM VISTA program does not provide a monetary award, but awards a VISTA member to serve full-time for one year (July 2017 – July 2018) in CSU STEM departments, colleges, and academically-based institutes.
The CSU STEM VISTA program encourages STEM departments, colleges, and academically-based institutes to develop proposals that:
- Support and reward implementation of effective HIPs that work best for your students, particularly traditionally underrepresented students;
- Create stronger connections among campus and systemwide programs to increase sharing and efficiency for the benefit of STEM students and faculty;
- Enhance the K-16 STEM pipeline by improved articulation of practices and curriculum; and
- Engender STEM graduates and faculty that reflect California’s demography.
What can a CSU STEM VISTA member do for your STEM department or college?
Below are just a few examples CSU STEM VISTA capacity building activities:
- Engage Students: recruit and support CSU students participating in HIPs and other activities; develop frameworks for student leadership programs; mentor student leaders; host on- or off-campus events
- Develop Community Partnerships:outreach to alumni, industry, government and non-profit organizations, K-12 schools, and funders; create networks of individuals and organizations dedicated to student success
- Training:develop and facilitate trainings for CSU students, community and industry partners, and/or K-12 students
- Evaluate Programs: develop systems to track and assess student success, effectiveness of projects, and impact on community
- Fundraising:organize fundraising events; research and write funding proposals
- Outreach and Communication Management:develop communication systems to reach external audiences; design brochures, posters, websites; develop press kits, press releases; manage social media
To learn more about our current CSU STEM VISTA member projects, visit www.csustemvista.wordpress.com.