Timeline & Milestones
Click on the photos below to view a larger version of each image.
April 14 – Governor Pat Brown signs the Donahoe Higher Education Act (also known as "The Master Plan"), uniting the University of California, the California State University, and the California Community Colleges system, and differentiating the missions of each.
San Diego State joins the California State College (CSC) system. Founded in 1897, San Diego State University is the oldest and largest higher education institution in the San Diego region.
San Francisco State becomes part of the California State College system. Founded in 1899, San Francisco State was the first normal school (teachers' college) in the nation to require high school diplomas for admission.
The first classes open in September at Stanislaus State College on the Stanislaus County Fairgrounds. The college was authorized in 1959 as the Master Plan discussions were underway.
The California Polytechnic University (now Cal Poly Pomona and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo) entered its 12th float in the Rose Parade. The Cal Poly float has appeared in the Rose Parade every year since 1949, winning nearly 50 awards and trophies over the years.
The Board of Trustees assumes responsibility for the CSU system. The Board of Trustees governs the entire 23-campus system, adopting rules, regulations and policies governing the CSU.
Sonoma State College opens to 250 students, offering the first Bachelor of Arts degree in elementary education.
The State Relations office is established in Sacramento. The office was created to represent and advocate for the CSU's interests with state government.
Glenn S. Dumke, president of San Francisco State College, is appointed chancellor after Buell Gallagher's resignation. During Dumke's 20-year chancellorship, the CSU's student population tripled and the board approved the modification of admission standards to require college-preparatory high school curriculum.
The International Programs office is established at San Francisco State College. Programs send students to five countries: France, Germany, Spain, Sweden and China (Taiwan). Since its inception, over 15,000 CSU students have taken advantage of this unique opportunity.
The State Academic Senate, the official voice of CSU faculty in matters of systemwide concern, is established.
The California State College Student Presidents Association (CSCSPA) is founded. Later renamed the California State Students Association (CSSA), the organization represents each campus student association on issues affecting students.
LA State College, whose campus was built in 1955 and first admitted students in 1959, is officially
renamed CSCLA and becomes part of the California State College system.
CSC Palos Verdes, later to change its name to CSU Dominguez Hills, opens to students. College enrollment totals 27 freshmen and 14 juniors, and its first commencement ceremony in 1967 saw four students graduate. Today, nearly 14,000 students attend CSU Dominguez Hills.
CSCSB (known today as CSU San Bernardino) opens to students on its original three-building campus. Today, CSU San Bernardino is home to the Coussoulis Arena, the largest indoor venue in San Bernardino and Riverside counties.
California Polytechnic University at Pomona becomes a separate polytechnic state college campus. The university first opened in 1938 with an all-male enrollment of 110 students as the Voornis Unit at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. In 1961, 329 women joined the student body. Today Cal Poly Pomoma supports the education of over 21,000 students.
The Government Relations office is established in Washington, D.C. Known today as the Office of Federal Relations, it leads system efforts to formulate and coordinate federal priorities of the CSU's 23 campuses.