CSU Student Transfer

Transferring Academic Credit

Allowance of Transfer Credit From Accredited Colleges and Universities

Generally, students will be granted credit for baccalaureate level courses successfully completed at regionally accredited two or four-year colleges and universities. The California State University campuses award academic units when the non-collegiate instruction or experience is determined to be appropriate to the baccalaureate degree and meet American Council on Education guidelines.

Credit is granted in compliance with applicable national, state, Title V, CSU system, and University policies and procedures. Such credit may be applied toward fulfillment of major, minor or general education requirements when applicable; other courses may count as elective credit toward the baccalaureate degree.

To learn more about transferring military credit, see the American Council on Education’s (ACE) Military Guide.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Military service members may also earn college credit by successfully completing certain exams. Learn more about CLEP.

DD214 Separation Document

Upon receipt of the DD214 Separation Document, campuses will award units of credit in general education Area E for completing basic training.

Credit for Instruction in Non-Collegiate Settings

Certain academic programs within the CSU grant undergraduate degree credit for successful completion of non-collegiate instruction appropriate to the baccalaureate, either military or civilian, as recommended by the Commission on Educational Credit and Credentials of the American Council on Education (ACE). Check with the respective program office to verify if your military training (Army AIT, Navy "A" School, Air Force "Tech School") can satisfy undergraduate general education courses. CSU campuses use the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experience in the Armed Services and the National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs recommendations to determine appropriate units allowed. Purely technical lower division coursework may not receive baccalaureate credit.

Transfer Credit From Overseas Institutions

Transfer credit may be granted from recognized overseas institutions when applicable. Veteran students must submit a certified copy of each international transcript and degree. Transcripts written in languages other than English must be accompanied by a literal certified English translation.

Awarding of advanced standing based on credits earned at other institutions varies depending on the educational system of the country. Each CSU campus makes a determination after review of the transcripts.

Limitations on the Transfer of Credit

Unit limitations apply to specific categories of credit which may be used to meet baccalaureate degree requirements:

  • A maximum of 24 hours of any combination of correspondence, extension, and non-traditional courses, e.g. DANTES.
  • A maximum of 30 hours of examination credit.
  • A maximum of 70 hours may be transferred from two-year colleges.
Transfer Grade Policies

CSU campuses typically utilize the following policies in evaluating grades earned in courses accepted for transfer:

  • The grading policies of the regionally accredited institution where credit was earned is honored by accepting at face value all official transcript entries including those:
    • reflecting academic renewal efforts,
    • reflecting acceptance of grade point remediation for repeated courses, and
    • regarding "incomplete" grades (e.g. I, IS, and IU).
  • All transfer courses graded Pass/No Pass or Credit/No Credit are computed at neutral value, except in those cases where the specific grading symbol is identified by the source institution as equivalent to a grade less than C in which case it will be taken at face value.
  • All transfer course grades or symbols used to designate unsatisfactory, failing, or non-passing work at time of withdrawal such as UW, WU or WF are evaluated as failing grades (F) unless otherwise defined by the source institution.