CSU Veterans in the News
- Four CSU Student/ Veterans Receive CSU Awards for Outstanding Achievements
Each year twenty-three scholarships are award on behalf of the CSU Trustees to outstanding achievements in their academic and life pursuits. In 2013, four of the twenty-three highest awards were won by CSU student veterans. See the Bakersfield, East Bay, Fullerton and San Diego sections below for details.
- Three CSU Campuses Listed Among 100 Most Veteran Friendly Campuses in America
CSU Chico, CSU San Marcos and San Diego State University were found to be among the “Best of the Best” by the staff of U.S. Veterans Magazine. Read more »
- Erika Rivera (U.S. Army, Combat Support with service in Iraq) is a William Randolph Hearst Scholar studying to be an elementary school teacher.
CSU East Bay
- David Fuller (USMC, Infantry, with service on the Presidental Security Detail) is an AT&T Scholar and is working to complete a master's degree in social work with a concentration in community mental health.
- T.J. Reynolds (US Army, Infantry, with service in Iraq) is a Wells Fargo Scholar. He is working to complete a master's degree in academic and creative writing.
- Titan Magazine - Striving to Meet Soldiers’ Needs: Grassroots Movement Leads to Campus Veterans Services
CSU Channel Islands
- Henry L. "Hank" Lacayo Institute and Veterans Affairs Partner to Connect Veterans to Careers (.docx)
- Video: CSU Channel Islands’ Veterans Resource Center
- 11/06/2011 – Veterans’ Transition to College Not Always Smooth
- 10/31/2011 – CI to Hold Veterans Resource Center Grand Opening
CSU Long Beach
- In Touch With Student Services – Welcoming Veterans to CSULB: The VET NET Ally Program
CSU Los Angeles
CSU Monterey Bay
- 11/11/2012 - Blind Vet Finds Haven in Monterey
- 11/29/2011 - Union Gallery Exhibit Examines “Women and War”
- 11/12/2011 – Bigger, Better Veterans Success Center Opens
- 11/10/2011 – Congresswoman Matsui Speaks at Grand Opening of Sacramento State’s Veterans Success Center
- 11/08/2011 – Sac State Alum and Army Vet Wants to Help
CSU San Bernardino
- 09/27/2013 – CSU San Bernardino will be celebrating the Air Force’s 66th birthday. Event highlights include a flyover of the campus by T-34 aircraft at 1:45 p.m. on the Pfau Library Lawn by the flag poles. USAF Col. Paul Green, an orphan who became a Tuskegee airman and base commander, will also be on campus to tell his inspiring story at 2:05 p.m. in the Recital Hall of the Theater Arts Building.
- 08/24/2012 – CSU San Bernardino hosts comprehensive Military Roundtable for the Inland Empire
CSU San Marcos
- 08/22/2013 – New Eco-Friendly Center Planned for Student Veterans
- 11/2012 – CSUSM Top Public University in California for Veterans
- Steps Magazine – A Home for Heroes
- 11/2012 – History Told Through the Voices of Veterans
- 10/12/2010 – Military Times Ranks CSUSM Among the Nation's Best Universities for Veterans
San Diego State University
- Clayton Treska (USMC, Infantry, with service in Iraq) is a Trustee Emeritus Ali C. Razi Scholar. He is a kinesiology major with plans for graduate study in a field related to post-cancer treatment and rehabilitation.
- 06/14/2013 – Lessons from Combat
- 01/31/2012 - SDSU Combats Veteran Unemployment
San Francisco State University
- 02/29/2012 - Scholarship Established in Honor of Nancy Pelosi
Sonoma State University
- 11/12/2012 - Veterans Memorial Grove commemorated on 30th anniversary
- 12/05/2012 - Promises Kept. SSU Alum Makes Veterans Day Donation to American Vets
- 07/17/2012 - Making Re-entry Count
- CSU Stanislaus Receives a Swords into Plowshares Grant for the University’s Women Warrior Program
The university veterans center at CSU Stanislaus will be expanded to accommodate the Women Warrior Project, which addresses the issues of women veterans. The program has a special focus on wellness for the female veterans in the six-county CSU Stanislaus service area. A Women Warrior Wellness conference is scheduled for February 20, 2014. Dr. Jennifer Grigoriou is the Women Warrior Program Director.