CSU Student Transfer

Apply for VA Benefits and Forms

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Education Services provides detailed information about its benefit programs, education news, an electronic application form, and enrollment verification on its GI Bill® website.

If you are a veteran or current service member claiming your VA benefits for the first time, you will need to complete the Application for VA Education Benefits (Form 22-1990) (.pdf). This form applies to benefits received under the following Chapters of Title 38, United States Code:

  • Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill®)
  • Chapter 1606 (Reservists)
  • Chapter 1607 (Reservists)

If you are a dependent claiming benefits under a veteran or service member parent or guardian, you will need to complete the Application for Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Form 22-5490) (.pdf). Dependents are covered under Title 38, Chapter 35, United States Code.

If you are a veteran with a service-connected disability applying for vocational rehabilitation, you will need to complete the Disabled Veterans Application for Vocational Rehabilitation (Form 28-1900) (.pdf). Disabled veterans are covered under Title 38, Chapter 31, United States Code.

Changing Institutions or Transferring to the CSU

If you are currently or previously a VA beneficiary and utilized your VA Educational Benefits at your previous institution, you will need to file the Request for Change of Program/Place of Training (Form 22-1995) (.pdf) if you are receiving Ch. 30, 31, 35, 30/34, or 1606 benefits. This form also must be completed if you are changing your academic program in any way (changing or adding a major, minor, or concentration). This change of academic program must be on record with the university in order for any coursework pertaining to the new program to be certified. You should also file a copy of DD214 (Ch. 30) or NOBE (Ch. 1606). If you need assistance, please contact a campus Veterans Affairs Coordinator.