CSU Student Transfer

Sources of Financial Assistance

There are a variety of sources for financial support for veterans, active military, reservists and dependents administered through the Department of Veterans Affairs. Each has its own forms, processes and timetables. These programs include:

For detailed information on these and other programs, please visit the Post-9/11 GI Bill® website.

California College Fee Waiver

The dependent child, spouse or unmarried surviving spouses of a service connected disabled or deceased veteran may be entitled to tuition and fee waiver benefits at any campus of the California State University system as well as other public California colleges. To obtain eligibility requirements and assistance in applying for these valuable benefits, please contact your local County Veterans Service Office, your school's VA office, or call the California Department of Veterans Affairs at (916) 503-8397.

Work Study

All students training under Chapters 30, 31, 34, 35, and 1605 VA education programs and who have been certified for 3/4 time enrollment or more are eligible to apply for the VA Work-Study Program. Students may work up to 450 hours in a term, and receive wages that comply with federal and state minimum wage laws (tax exempt as a VA benefit). Please check with local campus VA coordinators for more information.

Tuition Assistance

The county and CSU VA Offices do not process Tuition Assistance reimbursements. For reservists, assistance with Tuition Assistance applications, policies, and procedures are provided through the individual's reserve unit education service office.

Financial Aid

Veteran students frequently qualify for financial aid from federal, state and institutional sources. There are several grant programs available for which veterans may qualify. This is free money that does not have to be repaid. In addition, most campuses also have different scholarships (free money) as well. Federal work-study and loan programs may also be available. To be considered for these programs, veteran students should submit the Free Applications for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The simplest method is to apply online. The priority filing date is March 2. More information about programs, eligibility and application requirements can be found on campus websites.