Minimum Transfer Requirements
In order to be eligible to transfer to the CSU, you must meet the following minimum requirements:
Upper-Division Transfer Minimum Eligibility Requirements
Transfer students are eligible for admission with junior status with 60 or more transferable semester units or 90 quarter units if they:
- Maintain a minimum college GPA of 2.00 or better in all transferable college units attempted.
- Are in good standing at the last college or university attended, e.g., eligible to re-enroll.
- Will complete the four basic subjects in English Composition, College Mathematics, Speech Communication, and Critical Reasoning, which are part of the overall general education requirements.
- Will complete additional general education units that comprise the total CSU general education pattern of 39 units.
Lower-Division Transfer Minimum Eligibility Requirements
Due to enrollment demands, most CSU campuses restrict or prohibit the admission of lower-division transfer students who have earned fewer than 60 transferable semester units (90 quarter units).
Campuses may accept applications from lower-division students who are applying to science, technology, engineering or mathematics majors if they:
- Have a college grade point average of 2.00 or better in all transferable college units attempted.
- Are in good standing at the last college or university attended, i.e., eligible to re-enroll.
- Meet the eligibility index required of a first-time freshman.
- Meet the college-preparatory course requirements for a first-time freshman or have successfully completed necessary courses to make up any deficiencies in their high school records.
A few CSU campuses may require lower-division transfer students to have completed English composition and general education mathematics prior to transfer. If lower-division transfer students cannot meet the high school eligibility standards listed, they should continue to complete courses at a community college or other accredited college or university. These students should consider applying when they are eligible for consideration as upper-division transfers.