Student Academic Services

Transfer Students

Upper Division Transfer Students

All of the California State University campuses welcome applications from transfer students. You are considered a transfer student by the CSU if you complete any college level units after your graduation from high school (excluding the summer session immediately following your high school graduation).

The number of college level units you have completed at the time you enter a CSU determines the admission standards that will apply to your application. Students who complete college units during high school or through the summer immediately following high school graduation are considered first-time freshmen and must meet the CSU minimum eligibility requirements for first-time freshman admission. It is important to identify which admission requirements apply to you.

Lower-Division Transfer Admission Requirements

A number of campuses restrict or prohibit the enrollment of lower-division transfer students. California residents may be eligible for CSU admission with fewer than 60 transferable semester (90 quarter) units if they:

  • Have a college grade point average of 2.00 or higher in all transferable college units attempted;
  • Are in good standing at the last college or university attended, i.e., eligible to re-enroll;
  • Meet the admission requirements for a first-time freshman or have successfully completed necessary courses to make up the deficiencies they had in high school if they did not complete the 15-unit (a-g) pattern of college preparatory subjects; and
  • Meet the eligibility index required of a freshman.

A number of campuses may require lower-division transfer students to have completed English composition and general education mathematics prior to transfer. Some campuses do not admit lower-division transfer students. Contact your campus of choice to determine whether there are admission limits on the number of lower-division transfer students.

For more information regarding general education and pre-major requirements, please consult your community college counselor and visit

Disclaimer: All information provided in this publication is for academic year 2017-18. Information is current as of September 2016 and therefore subject to change without prior notice. Please visit the CSU campus websites or contact the specific campus for up-to-date information.