Several California State University campuses are among the nation's leaders in number of bachelor's degrees awarded to Hispanics, according to the national magazine Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education. In fact, four campuses are in the top ten: San Diego State, number 6; CSU Los Angeles, 7; CSU Fullerton, 9; and CSU Northridge, 10.
Altogether, 17 CSU campuses are in the list's top 75. Other CSU campuses listed are: Fresno, 15; Long Beach, 18; Cal Poly Pomona, 25; San Jose, 26; Dominguez Hills, 30; San Francisco, 32; Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, 36; San Bernardino, 37; Sacramento, 38; Hayward, 61; Stanislaus, 69; Bakersfield, 71; and Chico, 75.
In addition, twelve CSU campuses are among the top 75 in master's degrees awarded to Hispanics: San Diego, number 3; Los Angeles, 11; San Jose, 32; Long Beach, 37; San Francisco, 43; Dominguez Hills, 44; Fullerton, 46; Fresno, 48; Northridge, 54; Sacramento, 58; San Bernardino, 67; and Hayward, 74.
San Diego, which awards doctoral degrees jointly with doctoral granting institutions, was also number 37 in doctoral degrees awarded to Hispanics.
Earlier this year, 20 CSU campuses made Hispanic Outlook's "Publisher's Picks," a national list of universities that offer solid opportunities for Hispanic students and excel in recruitment and retention of Hispanic students.
The CSU is one of the most diverse educational institutions in the nation. More than 52 percent of CSU students are minorities, more than twice the national average for four-year public universities. A recent survey of CSU students indicated that about 40 percent come from homes where English is not the main language spoken, and more than one-third of CSU students consider themselves to be multiracial.
The magazine also ranked universities by bachelor's degrees awarded to Hispanics by discipline. CSU campuses are dominant in the area of Liberal Arts and Sciences, with six in the top ten: Fresno, number 1; San Diego, 4; Dominguez Hills, 5; Northridge, 7; San Bernardino, 8; and Stanislaus, 10.
Other CSU highlights are:
* Agriculture - San Luis Obispo, 3; Pomona 8
* Architecture - Pomona, 1; San Luis Obispo, 2
* Area Studies - Los Angeles, 4; Northridge, 8
* Business and Marketing - San Diego, 6; Pomona, 7; Fullerton, 9
* Communications - Fullerton, 2; Northridge, 8
* Computer Science - Los Angeles, 8
* Education - Los Angeles, 2; Fullerton, 8
* Engineering - San Luis Obispo, 4; Pomona, 6
* English - Long Beach, 4; Northridge, 8; San Diego, 9
* Foreign Language - San Diego, 4; Dominguez Hills, 9; Northridge, 10
* Health Sciences - Fresno, 10
* Home Economics - Long Beach, 2
* Mathematics - San Diego, 7.
* Protective Services - Los Angeles, 3; San Diego, 5; Sacramento, 7; Long Beach, 10
* Psychology - San Diego, 2; Northridge, 6; Long Beach, 9; Los Angeles, 10
* Public Administration - Los Angeles, 3; Fullerton, 6; Fresno, 7; San Diego, 9
* Social Sciences - San Diego, 6; Northridge, 7; Fresno, 8
* Visual and Performing Arts - Long Beach, 8.
Public Affairs Offices/Campus News