Campus: Long Beach -- September 20, 2007

Cal State Long Beach Upward Bound Programs Receive $1.62 Million in Grants from U.S. Department of Education

The Upward Bound Program at California State University, Long Beach (CSULB) has received a pair of grants from the U.S. Department of Education worth $1.17 million and $527,548 to continue its work with local low-income students to help them gain admission to the university of their choice and graduate with baccalaureate degrees.

Classic Upward Bound I, which received the first grant, is aimed at serving local schools in the Long Beach and Lakewood Unified School Districts, while Classic Upward Bound II serves a larger area covering Compton, Carson and Gardena. The program is present at 17 high schools within a 50-mile service area, which translates to 120 students in Upward Bound I and 70 students in Upward Bound II.

“These grants are wonderful. They enable the staff to follow their passion to get students into college,” said Philip Humphreys, director of Upward Bound at CSULB since 2002. “The students participate in a variety of activities such as visits to universities in Northern and Southern California, and they make better-informed decisions based on these trips about what campuses best fit their learning styles and which campuses offer their best majors or career options.”

Even though Upward Bound is based on campus, it does not recruit solely for CSULB. Humphreys said about 20 percent of the program’s students wind up enrolling at CSULB, but the remaining 80 percent enroll at colleges and universities across the nation. Still, because of their involvement with the program, he sees it as CSULB planting its banner all over the country.

One of the primary reasons CSULB Upward Bound received the funding, and one of its best features, is the program’s success in helping students to graduate high school and go on to enroll in a university.

“Our goal is to send 90 percent of our participating students on to university,” Humphreys pointed out. “In fact, last year 99 percent of our participating students graduated high school and went on to higher education. That is up from the year before when 98 percent graduated. This year, 36 seniors from area high schools in our program were accepted by 86 universities across the nation. The year before, 45 graduating seniors were accepted by 106 universities. This is a huge success rate and demonstrates that the program is working and the students are benefiting. Our focus is to prepare students with the life skills they need to be a success at the university level.”

One of the program’s greatest strengths is the TRIO pipeline, a federal system that offers educational opportunity outreach programs designed to motivate and support students from disadvantaged backgrounds. TRIO includes five outreach and support programs targeted to serve and assist low-income, first-generation college students, and students with disabilities, to progress through the academic pipeline from middle school to post-baccalaureate programs.

These TRIO programs include the EIS Talent Search to support middle and high school students in graduating from high school, entering college and successfully earning their baccalaureate degree; Upward Bound, which assists high school students in graduating from high school, entering college and successfully earning their baccalaureate degrees; Student Support Services, which works with students at the university level in successfully earning their baccalaureate degrees; the McNair Scholars program, which is designed to raise the number of students from underrepresented segments of society and disadvantaged backgrounds who have demonstrated strong, academic potential to go on to graduate study; and the Educational Opportunity Center, which assists adults to enter or continue a program of postsecondary education.

Media Contacts: Rick Gloady, 562/985-5454, rgloady@csulb.edu
Shayne Schroeder, 562/985-1727, schroede@csulb.edu


Public Affairs Offices/Campus News
[Bakersfield] [Chancellor's Office] [Channel Islands] [Chico]
[Dominguez Hills] [East Bay] [Fresno] [Fullerton] [Humboldt] [Long Beach] [Los Angeles] [Maritime Academy] [Monterey_Bay] [Northridge] [Pomona] [Sacramento] [San Bernardino] [San Diego] [San Francisco] [San Jose] [San Luis Obispo] [San Marcos] [Sonoma] [Stanislaus]