Financing Your Year: Cost Estimate Overview
What is Included in the Estimated IP Costs?
To the greatest extent possible, the cost estimates are comprehensive and allow for all types of expenditures an IP student would normally make, except vacation travel. The budgets on the tables are broken down as follows:
- State University Fee - Same as your home campus.*
- Study Abroad Fee - Fee covers costs related to overseas operational expenses including student on-site support and operating costs of the program.*
- Insurance and Departure Processing - Includes orientation and materials sent to students prior to departure and a comprehensive group health and accident insurance plan.
- Group Activities (For Most Overseas Centers) - Covers various social gatherings, such as Thanksgiving dinner; group excursions to familiarize students with the country in which they are studying; and/or academically related field trips. Refer to the individual country brochures for specifics.
- Round-Trip Transportation - Includes the cost of transportation to the overseas center and back to California.
- Housing and Meals - Arrangements vary by overseas center and are described in each country's brochure.
- Personal Expenses - Includes such items as clothing, entertainment, books, postage and incidentals. The actual amount each student spends in this category can vary considerably, although the estimate is a good figure for planning.
- Other - There are changes in certain overseas centers for special items, such as instructional materials or temporary accommodations
upon arrival. These items are specific in the cost information included in each country brochure. Again, please note that vacation travel is not included in the total cost estimate because students' expenditures in this area vary too widely.
*The CSU makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum. Fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to be increased when public funding is inadequate. Therefore, CSU must reserve the right, even after initial fee payments are made, to increase or modify any listed fees, without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular program has begun. All CSU listed fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by the Board of Trustees.