- Enrollment at a CSU campus not later than spring term prior to departure or eligibility to enter from a California community college by fall term of the program start date.
- A cumulative GPA for all college-level work of 3.0 at the time of the application deadline. This requirement cannot be waived.
- Sophomore, upper-division or graduate standing by the end of spring term prior to departure.
- All applicants must complete at least one college-level course with a focus on Chinese civilization, history, society, politics, literature, or philosophy by the end of spring term prior to departure. Students applying to the “Study in English” program who have not previously studied Chinese may meet this requirement by taking a Chinese language course.
- Applicants apply to one of the following programs. Additional requirements, if any, are noted:
- Learn Chinese: One year of college-level Mandarin by the end of the spring term prior to departure. Participants will focus most of their studies on Mandarin Chinese in the prestigious Intensive Chinese Language Program (ICLP) at NTU.
- Study in English Program: Students with no previous study of Mandarin Chinese may study at National Taiwan University (NTU), taking courses taught in English in their academic major, as well as Mandarin Chinese language courses in the Chinese Language Department (CLD) at NTU.
- Advanced: Participants need near-native fluency in Mandarin Chinese to enroll in regular university coursework at National Taiwan University.