- Enrollment at a CSU campus no later than spring term prior to departure or eligibility to enter from a California community college by fall term of the program start date.
- A cumulative GPA for all higher education work of 3.00 at the time of the application deadline. Students with a cumulative GPA below the stipulated level will be considered when special circumstances exist. These circumstances must be addressed in the student's Statement of Purpose.
- Upper-division or graduate standing by the end of spring term prior to departure.
- Demonstrated serious academic interest in Africa through coursework or through previous travel/study experience.
- While not required, completion of at least one or more courses with an Africa focus is highly recommended.
- Maturity and the ability to deal with ambiguity as may be necessary for making the cultural adjustment to life in Africa.