Chancellor's Office Human Resource Services
Why Work for Us?
Salaries and Bonuses

Work Environment
Labor Agreements

External Candidate
Internal Candidate
CO HR Services Home

Payroll Frequently Asked Questions

My paycheck stub shows a deduction of $0.17 for FLEX-ADMIN, what is this?
When an employee pays any portion of their health premium the State Controller's Office charges an administrative fee of $0.17 to forward your payment to the carrier.

How will my net pay be affected if I change my Exemptions?
You can figure out what your net pay will be by using the Paycheck Calculator

When is the Employee Action Request to change my exemptions due in payroll?
This form should be in by the Payroll cutoff date to affect the current month's paycheck, usually around the 20th of the month.
Current Calendar » (.pdf)   Cutoff days are indicated by calendar square indicates cutoff days.

How can I get a copy of my W-2?
The State Controller's Office mails the W-2's by mid-January for the previous tax year. To receive a duplicate W-2, complete the State Controller's Office form (.pdf). Each duplicate W-2 form costs $8.50, which will need to be sent to the State Controller's Office with the form.

How many exemptions may I claim before the IRS is notified?
The State Controller's Office will notify the IRS when an employee claims 11 dependents or more.

What do I do if I lost my paycheck?
Please contact Philip Buford (562-985-4538) immediately so a stop payment can be placed on the check.

Content Contact:
Philip Buford
Payroll Services Supervisor
(562) 985-4538
Jeanene Berumen
Senior Manager of Payroll Services
(562) 985-4165
Technical Contact:

Last Updated: February 4, 2014