Under federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the California Family Rights Act (CFRA) and CSU FML policy, employees with at least 12 months of service are eligible for a leave of up to 12 weeks in a 12-month period for the following reasons:
- To care for a child after birth or placement with the employee for
adoption or foster care.
- To care for the employee's spouse, domestic partner, child or parent
who has a serious health condition.
- If the employee is unable to perform the essential functions of his or
her job due to a serious health condition.
Family medical leave is without pay; however, employees must exhaust their personal holiday and any accumulated vacation or compensatory time off prior to beginning unpaid leave. The use of sick leave credits to care for a family member may be used if mutually agreed upon by the employee and supervisor.
- To initiate a Family Medical Leave, complete the Leave of Absence Request Form
(.pdf) and return to Vivian Dea (be sure to check the box for Family Medical Leave).
- For FML related to illness or injury medical
certification (.pdf) is required within 15 days of the leave request. This does
not apply to childbirth after pregnancy disability leave.
- Leave begins after the employee has requested and is granted FML, or
after CO notifies the employee that it is designating time off as FML.
- During unpaid FML, CSU continues to pay its normal portion of medical,
dental and vision premiums.
- Employees on FML have the right to return to the same or an equivalent position.
- All Employees
- CSUEU Represented Employees (Units 7 and 9)
- SETC Represented Employees (Unit 6)