Steps to maximizing your financial aid:
1. Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). It is an application for current and prospective college students used to determine eligibility for financial aid.
2. Check with the financial aid department at your prospective university. They will be knowledgeable about campus-specific opportunities.
3. Apply for hospitality-related scholarships. The following industry scholarships are available to CSU hospitality students:
- American Culinary Federation
The American Academy of Chefs (AAC), the honor society of the American Culinary Federation (ACF), offers educational scholarships to high school students, college students, professional chefs looking to further their education or become certified, as well as student culinary teams currently competing at ACF regional and national conferences.
- American Hotel & Lodging Association (AH&LA) Educational Foundation Scholarships
AH&LA offers 10 different scholarships in two categories.
- American Institute of Wine & Food
Individual chapters offer scholarships to full-time students attending accredited colleges. CSU students are eligible.
- American Rental Association
The American Rental Association Foundation (ARAF) will award 23 scholarships of between $1,000 and $3,000.
- American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA) Scholarship Fund
Tourism Cares is a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving the travel experience for future generations. They offer many academic scholarships for travel, tourism, and hospitality students, as part of the American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA) Scholarship Fund.
- California Hotel & Lodging Association Educational Foundation Scholarships
The CH&LA offers a number of scholarships for students and industry employees who want to further their education.
- California Lodging Industry Association Scholarship
California residents pursuing an education in the lodging and hospitality fields can receive up to $1,500 a year.
- California Restaurant Association Educational Foundation (CRAEF) Scholarships
The CRAEF has given over $1 million in scholarships. High school seniors and undergraduates are eligible to apply online. Applicants must be California residents.
- Club Managers Association of America
In 2008, clubs distributed $7.6 million in student scholarships. Various chapters award individual scholarships.
- Golden Gate Restaurant Association Scholarships
GGRA gives talented students access to careers in the world of restaurants and hospitality. Scholarship is open to students from the San Francisco Bay area.
- Hispanic College Fund/Marriott Scholars Program
Offers support of up to $9,000 per year for four years along with career guidance and mentoring by Marriott management.
- Hospitality Sales & Marketing Association International (HSMAI) Scholarships
The HSMAI Foundation awards merit scholarships to full and part time-students pursuing Associate, Baccalaureate or Graduate Degrees.
- Hotel & Restaurant Foundation Scholarships
The Hotel & Restaurant Foundation is one of the largest hospitality scholarship granting organizations in the country. Scholarships are awarded to California residents in four different categories.
- Hyatt Hotels
Hyatt established the Hyatt Hotels Fund for Minority Lodging Management Students to provide financial aid to minority students pursuing a degree in hotel management.
- International Association of Conference Centers Scholarships
Based on eligibility, students can apply for three scholarships and awards presented by IACC.
- International Food Service Executives Association Scholarships
IFSEA offers thousands of dollars in scholarships and financial support each year to students in the foodservice and hospitality industry.
- James Beard Foundation Scholarships
The Foundation awards cash scholarships & tuition waivers to aspiring culinary students.
- Meeting Planners International Foundation Scholarships
MPI Members are eligible to apply for various student scholarships including General Education, Leadership, and MPI Programs.
- National Association of Catering Executives Scholarships
The Foundation of NACE awards one $10,000 Vince DeFinis scholarship and four $2,500 Foundation scholarships.
- National Association of College & University Food Services Scholarship
The Clark E. DeHaven Scholarship provides financial support to students who demonstrate a commitment to a foodservice career. Awards will be made only to applicants enrolled at institutions that are members of the National Association of Colleges & University Food Services.
- National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation (NRAEF) Scholarships
NRAEF supports students and educators by awarding scholarships through its Scholarships and Mentoring Program.
- NEWH: The Hospitality Industry Network Scholarships
NEWH awards scholarships to hospitality students with real financial needs. Scholarships are awarded by local chapters to students of qualifying schools. California chapters include Los Angeles, San Diego and Orange Counties, and the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Professional Convention Management Association Scholarships
PCMA funds five tuition-bases scholarships of $5,000, and five $1,000 scholarships for tuition, books, and other costs.
- Society for Human Resource Management
The Society for Human Resource Management awards a variety of different scholarships for both members and non-members. Students can earn up to $5,000 toward their education. The Society also awards research grants.
- Tourism Cares
Tourism Cares is a non-profit organization that benefits society by preserving the travel experience for future generations through awarding grants to natural, cultural and historic sites worldwide; by presenting academic and service-focused scholarships to hospitality and tourism students; and by organizing volunteer efforts to restore tourism-related sites in need of care and rejuvenation.