San Francisco State University
The Graduate Experience
San Francisco State University (SF State) is one of the largest and most prestigious graduate degree-granting universities within the California State University system. There are approximately 5,000 students enrolled in post baccalaureate study at SF State in 97 master's programs and concentrations, an independent Doctor in Education (EdD) program, three joint doctoral programs with the University of California, and education credential and specialized graduate certificate programs. Forty-five percent of SF State's graduate students are ethnic minorities.
SF State offers programs of study that reflect contemporary scholarly standards within the disciplines and that address regional needs for advanced-level professionals in the fields of business, science, health, social services, and education among others. Over the past ten years, SF State has successfully graduated more than 14,000 graduated students. Alumni who have earned their master's and doctoral degrees from this campus have distinguished themselves nationally and internationally. Graduate program distinctions and student resources include the following:
- According to a study sponsored by the US National Science Foundation, SF State ranks fourth nationally among master's level colleges and universities for the total number of graduates who go on to receive research doctorates.
- SF State's Business, Computer Science, Creative Writing, Cinema, Broadcast and Electronic Communication Arts, Philosophy, Museum Studies, and Psychology programs are nationally recognized and draw top international students and applicants from across the country.
- U.S. News and World Report consistently ranks many of SF State's graduate programs among the best in the United States. These include Fine Art, Counseling, Nursing, Physical Therapy, and Public Administration.
- Graduate students seeking degrees in the fields of Science develop their skills in the Conservation Genetics Laboratory, The Romberg Tiburon Center for Environmental Studies, Center for Computing and Life Sciences, and the Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Center.
- Graduate students have the use of the state-of-the-art, newly renovated Library. The new building includes a graduate reading room, a Digital Media Studio for students with editing rooms, and extended hours study areas with group study rooms. The Research Commons on the first floor is open 24 hours a day during the semester.
San Francisco Campus
San Francisco State is located on a 94-acre site near Lake Merced in southwestern San Francisco. The main campus achieves a park-like beauty amid the city life that surrounds it. The university operates off-campus study centers, including the Romberg Tiburon Center on San Francisco Bay, the Sierra Nevada Field Campus, and the SF State Downtown Center.