CSU Board of Trustees Highlighted Agenda Items: July 13, 2010
LISTEN LIVE: Listen to the live audio stream of the CSU Board of Trustees open sessions at www.calstate.edu/bot/agendas/index.shtml. Or call 916-278-2663 (password: 1001181#).
NOTE: A print version of FYI (.pdf) is available.The full Board of Trustees Agenda and Schedule of Meetings are also available.
CSU Report on Equal Opportunity in Athletics for Women Students
- The Trustees will receive a report detailing the rates of participation, expenditures and grants-in-aid for female students in intercollegiate athletics on NCAA member campuses across the system.
- In 1993, the CSU and the California National Organization for Women (CA NOW) entered into a consent decree in order to increase participation, funding and the number of grants-in-aid for female athletes. By 2000 it was determined that the consent decree had been satisfied. Since that point, the Chancellor and CSU campus presidents agreed to continue to report these findings on a voluntary basis.
The report, using the most recent data available which comes from the 2008-2009 academic year, shows that the CSU continues to make system-wide progress in all three areas. Dating back to 1992-1993, the CSU has seen an increase of 123.7 percent in the number of women athletes including an increase of 59 women since 2007-2008. Including a $4.5 million increase in 2008-2009, total expenditures have risen to $95.3 million dollars, an increase of 751 percent. Additionally, the total funds from grants-in-aid rose from $2.5 million to $15.4 million, an increase of 516 percent.
- Also of note, for the first time since the report's inception, each NCAA member campus met or exceeded their campus goals for participation. All 20 campuses also met or exceeded goals for funding and 16-of-20 campuses met their goals for grants-in-aid.
CSU Committee on University and Faculty Personnel
- The Board will review compensation for three recently appointed leadership positions: Executive Vice Chancellor and Chief Academic Officer, interim President of San José State University and interim President of California Polytechnic University, San Luis Obispo.
- Dr. Ephraim P. Smith was appointed to the position of executive vice chancellor and chief academic officer for the CSU effective July 1, 2010. Don Kassing (San José State) and Dr. Robert Glidden (Cal Poly) were appointed interim presidents at their respective universities effective August 1, 2010.
Concord Naval Weapons Station Acquisition
- Cal State East Bay will seek approval to explore the acquisition of a portion of the Concord Naval Weapons Station as a site for a future CSU East Bay Concord branch campus.
- With the decision by the federal government to close the Concord Naval Weapons Station, the CSU has been presented with the opportunity to purchase a 150-acre portion of the property to develop a future full-service CSU East Bay Concord branch campus. This facility would provide increased access to public higher education in an area that is significantly underserved, and reflects CSU East Bay's strategy to meet the long term educational needs of the Concord area and to establish a Concord branch campus.
Board of Trustees Agenda
10 a.m. Board of Trustees – Closed Session, Munitz Conference Room
- Executive Personnel Matters
- Presidential Evaluations
- (Gov. Code Section 11126[a] (1)
11 a.m. Committee on Collective Bargaining — Closed Session, Munitz Conference Room
- (Gov. Code Section 3596[d])
11:30 a.m. Committee on Collective Bargaining — Open Session
- Ratification of the Successor Collective Bargaining Agreement with the Academic Professionals of California - Academic Support - Unit 4, Action
12 p.m. Lunch Break
12:45 p.m. Committee on University and Faculty Personnel
- Executive Compensation: Executive Vice Chancellor and Chief Academic Officer, Action
- Executive Compensation: Interim President at San Jose State University, Action
- Executive Compensation: Interim President at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, Action
1:15 p.m. Committee on Finance
- Report on the 2010-2011 Support Budget, Information
- Approval to Amend the Resolutions to Sell Bond Anticipation Notes and Bonds for Three Projects, Action
2 p.m. Committee on Campus Planning, Buildings and Grounds
- Amend the 2010-2011 Capital Outlay Program, Non-State Funded, Action
- Amend the 2010-2011 Capital Outlay Program, State-Funded, Action
- Status report on the 2010-2011 State Funded Capital Outlay Program, Information
- Categories and Criteria for the State-Funded Five-Year Capital Improvement Program, 2012-2013 through 2016-2017, Action
- Relocation Plan for the Dobbs Street Apartment Building Real Property Acquisisiton for California State University, Los Angeles, Action
2:30 p.m. Committee of the Whole
- Concord Naval Weapons Station Acquisition, Action
3 p.m. Committee on Educational Policy
- Report on Voluntary Self-Monitoring of Equal Opportunity in Athletics for Women Students, Information
3:30 p.m. Board of Trustees - Open Session
Schedule of Meetings (.pdf)
The CSU Board of Trustees will convene at:
The CSU Chancellorís Office
401 Golden Shore
Long Beach, CA 90802
Unless noted, meetings take place in the Dumke Auditorium. Times are approximate.