CSU Board of Trustees Highlighted Agenda Items: September 21 & 22, 2010
LISTEN LIVE: Listen to the live audio stream of the CSU Board of Trustees open sessions at www.calstate.edu/bot/agendas/index.shtml. Or call 916-278-2663 (password: 1001181#).
NOTE: A print version of FYI (.pdf) is available. The full Board of Trustees agenda and Schedule of Meetings (.pdf) are also available.
Recognition of Recipients of the 2010-2011 William Randolph Hearst/CSU
Trustee’s Award for Outstanding Achievement
- The CSU Board of Trustees will announce and honor the 23 recipients of the William Randolph Hearst/CSU Trustee’s Award for Outstanding Achievement, which is awarded to high-achieving students who have demonstrated financial need and overcome profound personal hardships to attain an education from the CSU. In addition, these students have superior academic records and are also providing extraordinary service to their communities.
- Since its inception, 204 students have received this award. For 2010-2011, the recipients are as follows: two students will receive the Trustee Emeritus Ali C. Razi awards for $10,000; one student will receive a $6,000 scholarship as the Trustee Emeritus Murray L. Galinson scholar; to celebrate the CSU’s 50th anniversary, the CSU Foundation will honor a CSU 50th Anniversary Scholar with $5,000; and the remaining 19 students will receive a $3,000 scholarship.
Update on the CSU Graduation Initiative
- Trustees will hear a report from the CSU Committee on Educational Policy detailing the CSU Graduation Initiative’s strategies to reduce achievement gaps and sustain recent momentum to raise overall graduation rates. The Trustees will discuss the two upcoming regional workshops focusing on closing achievement gaps, as well as review the data compiled and provided to each campus outlining their students’ progress toward graduation.
Professional Science Master’s Degree Program
- CSU Trustees will be presented with an update from the CSU Committee on Educational Policy highlighting how the Professional Science Master’s (PSM) programs demonstrate CSU’s commitments to address the post-baccalaureate needs of working professionals and prepare future technical leaders for the state’s high-growth industry sectors.
• Representing about 10 percent of the PSM programs in the U.S., the CSU PSM initiative is an innovative two-year graduate degree program developed in response to dynamic workforce needs. The PSM curriculum include rigorous science and business administration coursework, coupled with applied research and project-based learning to produce highly trained scientists who can function effectively in a corporate environment.
Board of Trustees Agenda
10:00 a.m. Board of Trustees – Closed Session,
Munitz Conference Room
- Executive Personnel Matters
- (Gov. Code Section 11126[a])
11:00 a.m. Committee on Collective Bargaining — Closed Session,
Munitz Conference Room
- Labor Relations Status Report
- (Gov. Code Section 3596[d])
11:30 a.m. Committee on Collective Bargaining — Open Session
- Adoption of Initial Bargaining Proposals for Contract Re-opener Bargaining with SETC-United, (Unit 6), Action
- Ratification of the Tentative Agreement for an Initial Collective Bargaining Agreement with California State Employees’ Union, (Unit 13), Action
12:00 p.m. Lunch Break
12:45 p.m. Committee on Governmental Relations
- 2009-2011 Legislative Report No. 9, Action
- 2010 General Election Ballot Summary, Information
1:15 p.m. Committee on Audit
- Status Report on Current and Follow-up Internal Audit Assignments, Information
- University and Auxiliary Organization Funds, Information
1:30 p.m. Committee on Finance
- Report on the 2010-2011 Support Budget, Information
- Planning for the 2011-2012 Support Budget, Information
- 2011-2012 Lottery Revenue Budget, Information
- CSU Annual Investment Report, Information
- Approval to Issue Trustees of the CSU, Systemwide Revenue Bonds and Related Debt Instruments for Various Projects, Action
2:30 p.m. Committee on Campus Planning, Buildings and Grounds
- Amend the 2010-2011 Capital Outlay Program, Non-State Funded, Action
- Status Report on the 2010-2011 State Funded Capital Outlay Program, Information
- California Environmental Quality Act Annual Report, Information
- State and Non-State Funded Five-Year Capital Improvement Program 2011-2012 through 2015-2016, Action
2:45 p.m. Committee on University and Faculty Personnel
- Compensation for Vice Presidents: Annual Update, Information
- Executive Compensation: Annual Executive Relocation Report, Information
- Executive Compensation: Annual Executive Transitions Update, Information
- Human Resources Strategic Vision and Goals, Information
3:15 p.m. Committee on Institutional Advancement
- Naming of a Facility at California State University, Los Angeles, Action
- Recognition of Recipients of the 2010-2011 William Randolph Hearst/CSU Trustees’ Award for Outstanding Achievement, Information
8:00 a.m. Committee on Educational Policy
- Graduation Initiative Update, Information
- Academic Plan Update for Fast-Track Program Development, Action
- Professional Science Master’s Degrees, Information
- CSU Nisei Diploma Project, Information
- Opportunities to Expand the Role of Extended Education, Information
9:45 a.m. Committee on the Whole
10:15 a.m. Board of Trustees
- General Counsel’s Report, Information
The CSU Board of Trustees will convene at:
The CSU Chancellorís Office
401 Golden Shore
Long Beach, CA 90802
Unless noted, meetings take place in the Dumke Auditorium. Times are approximate.