Asian American and Pacific Islander Initiative
The goal of the CSU Asian American & Pacific Islander (AAPI) Initiative is to improve college access and graduation achievement for Asian American and Pacific Islander students from underserved communities.
Journey to Success Program
In 2011, the Initiative began hosting several college fairs for AAPI families named "Journey to Success." The events held at CSU campuses, provide families, students, community and religious leaders with information about college preparation, planning and financial aid.
The CSU AAPI initiative targets the following communities, which, based on CSU data from the Early Assessment Test, need additional assistance to improve their levels of high school graduation and college access.
- Underserved Chinese, Vietnamese, Filipino, Korean, Thai
The Initiative History
The first step began in October 2010 when the CSU convened Asian and Pacific Islander community leaders to discuss approaches to community engagement and the potential for collaborative interactions between the CSU and community organizations. View a summary of the meeting
The initiative is led by a steering committee appointed by CSU campus presidents. The steering committee advices the Chancellor's Office on Asian American & Pacific Islander issues, provides direction to the CSU AAPI Initiative's programs on campus, and develops long-term strategies designed to result in increases in the number of students who go and succeed in college.
- Nov. 2010 - Asian Community Leaders Discuss Strategies to Reach Out to Parents and Students
AAPI Higher Education Conference
The inaugural Asian American and Pacific Islander Conference was presented jointly by The College Board and the California State University. See photo gallery.
- A Community of Contrasts -- Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders in California. Asian American Center for Advancing Justice
- CARE Report (2013) -- iCount: A Data Quality Movement for Asian Americans and Pacific islanders in Higher Education
- CARE Report (2013) --
Partnership for Equity in Education Through Reserach (PEER): Findings from the first year of research on AANAPISIs
- CARE Report (2012) --The Relevance of Asian Americans & Pacific Islanders in the College Completion Agenda.
- The State of Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander Education in California.
|CSU AAPI Initiative - Steering Committee|