Support for Campus Findings of Impact
We encourage educators to track the benefits and outcomes of their programs through the use of our systemwide account in TaskStream, or in consultation with Faculty Fellows designated for the high-impact practices in widest use across the CSU:
FYE and Trasitions
Joanne Pedersen is the Director of First-Year Programs at CSU San Marcos. Since 1998, she has overseen the development and growth of CSUSMs highly successful first-year seminar, coordinated a range of first-year learning communities and summer transition programs, and created professional development opportunities for all instructors who teach first-year students. She served as co-liaison for CSUSM's Foundations of Excellence® campus-wide self-study to improve the first-year.
Seth Pollack is a Professor of Service Learning and the Director of Service Learning at CSU Monterey Bay, the first campus in the CSU system to require have made service learning a graduation requirement for all students. He is a leading national voice for the integration of diversity and social justice in service learning courses; and for the development of a "critical civic literacy" approach to this work.
Phil Janowicz is an Assistant Professor of Chemistry at CSU Fullerton. For the last year he has been the Interim Director of the system-wide Center of Excellence for Supplemental Instruction (SI). Phil has received certification to train others throughout the CSU system.
Holly Unruh is the Associate Director of CSU Monterey Bay's Undergraduate Research Opportunities Center (UROC), a cross-campus center that provides opportunities for students to engage in undergraduate research. UROC's mission is to build students' educational ownership, intellectual vibrancy, and scholarly identity. This is achieved through support for mentored undergraduate research; rigorous, authentic and calibrated scholarly activities; and the development of students' social capital.
For more information contact Suzy Cuevas in the office of Student Engagement.
These links provide research-backed evidence of the impact of various approaches to engage students, foster deeper learning and improve completion rates. These findings are among a growing body of literature and we invite you to contribute to this page.
- CSU Chico persistence gains in Town Hall Meeting participants (.xlsx)
- Diversity & Democracy study Fall 2012 (.pdf)
High Impact Practices
- 2013 study of high-impact practices in community colleges (.pdf)
- CSU San Marcos FYE persistence (.pdf)
- Special Analysis of NSSE data across the CSU, commissioned by the AAC&U (.pdf)
- Impact of requiring high-impact practices in individual academic programs at San José State (.pdf)
- Northridge study on participation in multiple high-impact practices (.pdf)
- Low-Income Students and the Perpetuation of Inequality (.pdf)
- Academic Mindsets as a Critical Component of Deeper Learning April 2013 (.pdf)
- Fresno Study – Does Service Learning Help Students Succeed? (.pdf)
- How Service Learning Affects Students, HERI, 2000 (.pdf)
- Resources on Research in Service Learning and Civic Engagement, compiled by Campus Compact
Undergraduate and Community-Based Research
- Impact of Undergraduate Research on Academic Performance, Educational Planning, and Career Development (.pdf)