24th Annual CSU Biotechnology Symposium
Thursday, Friday, Saturday, January 5-7, 2012
Santa Clara Marriott
The 24th Annual CSU Biotechnology Symposium Report is now available (March 2012).
The CSU Biotechnology symposium program was designed to broaden exposure to cutting-edge biotechnologies, product-focused innovation and the spectrum of career paths available in the life sciences. The symposium provided a terrific opportunity for CSU students to network with biotech professionals working in academia, government and industry. Faculty members shared research progress, discussed educational best practices, and met potential collaborators from other campuses and industry.
2012 Symposium Award Winners
Andreoli Award: William Tong, San Diego State University
Crellin Pauling Student Teaching Award: Erick Morales, CSU Fullerton
Faculty Research Award: Feimeng Zhou, CSU Los Angeles
Glenn Nagel Undergraduate Student Research Award: Behrod B. Katebian, CSU Northridge
Don Eden Graduate Student Research Award: Melissa K. Jones, CSU Long Beach
CSUPERB-I2P Early-Stage Biotechnology Commercialization Challenge: CSU Sacramento student team (Jose Camacho, Rebecca Dalton, Neil Gee, Michael Hebert)
Program and Poster Sessions
The complete symposium program (pdf) is available here.
2012 Poster Abstracts are available and can be searched by author, campus or keywords. The 262 symposium posters at the 2012 symposium represented the work of 338 students and 131 faculty mentors from 21 CSU campuses.
2012 Symposium Sponsors: Pasadena Bioscience Collaborative, Economic & Workforce Development (through the California Community Colleges), BayBio Institute and Illumina. Career Networking Session Sponsors: Amgen, Abbott Vascular, Monogram Biosciences, James Ritchey, Ph.D.
Speakers and Symposium Sessions
Terry Hermiston, Vice President, Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals
Alberto Mas, Worldwide President, BD Biosciences
Rollin Richmond, President, Humboldt State University and Chair, CSUPERB Presidents' Commission
Latest Generation Sequencing
- Henk Postma (Assistant Professor of Physics & Astronomy, CSU Northridge, presentation, *pdf)
- Forest Rohwer (Professor of Biology, San Diego State University, presentation, *pdf)
- Gary Schroth (Distinguished Scienctist, Illumina, presentation, *pdf)
Entrepreneurial Education: Early-Stage Biotechnology Commercialization
Special thanks to Pasadena Bioscience Center at LA/Orange County Biotech Center, Gold Level Sponsor of this session.
- Monica Brule (Director, Integrated Technology Transfer Network, Inland Empire Center for Entrepreneurship, CSU San Bernardino)
- Winny Dong (Professor of Chemical and Materials Engineering, Cal Poly Pomona)
- Jakub Felkl (Coordinator, I2P Program, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Texas at Austin)
- Luanne Meyer (Director, Strategic Initiatives, College of Business and Economics, CSU East Bay)
- Terri Swartz (Dean, College of Business and Economics, CSU East Bay)
Enriching Undergraduate Education (for faculty)
- Steven Oppenheimer (Professor of Biology, CSU Northridge, presentation, *pdf)
- Erin Sanders (Department of Microbiology, Immunology & Molecular Genetics, University of California Los Angeles)
- Jill Sible (Associate Dean for Curriculum, Instruction and Advising, Professor of Biological Sciences, Virginia Tech, presentation, *pdf)
- Jim Swartz (Professor of Chemistry, Grinnell College)
Eden Award Finalists: Lauren Aguado (SDSU), Victoria Glenn (CSU San Marcos), Peter Halcrow (CSU Dominguez Hills), Melissa Jones (CSU Long Beach), Rebeca Medina (CSU Fullerton), Eliot Morrison (SFSU), Roonalika Wisidagama (CSU Northridge), Johann Zeroli (SJSU).
Nagel Award Finalists: Gabrielle Donnelly (CSU Fullerton), Lauren Donovan (CSU Fullerton), Ramin Farhad (CSU Fullerton), Behrod Katebian (CSU Northridge), Sylvanna Krawczyk (CSU Sacramento), Thomas Mota (CSU Long Beach), Ngoc-Han Tran (San Jose State University), Tuyen Tran (CSU Long Beach), Vinod Valluri (CSU Fullerton)
Career Networking Session (for students). Organizations participating: ACE Life Sciences, Abbott Vascular, Abbott Diabetes Care, Agilent Technologies, Amgen, Boeringer Ingelheim, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Crinetics, DEL BioPharma, Gilead Sciences, Lab Support, Marshall Medical Center, Med Ad Agency, Monogram Biosciences, Nodality, O'Banion & Ritchey LLC, San Bio, San Francisco Federal Occupational Health, Science Futures, Sequenta, Synapsis Search, U.S. Food & Drug Administration, WRG Science Writing Services. Thanks to session sponsors: Abbott Vascular, Amgen, Monogram Biosciences, James Ritchey, BayBio Institute.
Graduate School Information Session (for students). Moderator: Tom Huxford, San Diego State University. Universities represented: San Diego State University, University of California San Diego, University of California Los Angeles, Washington University of St. Louis.
Workshops and Affiliated Meetings
- Biofuels Taskforce Meeting (Daryl Eggers, Chair; SJSU)
- CSUPERB Proposal Writing Workshop
- Genomics Curriculum Workshops
- Plant Gene Annotation and Analysis using DNA Subway (Nick Ewing, CSU Sacramento & Jim Youngblom, CSU Stanislaus)
- Finding genes in a new fly genome (Sarah Elgin, Washington University, Anya Goodman, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and Wilson Leung, Washington University)
- The Human Genome and Personalized Medicine (Anya Goodman, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo & Jim Youngblom, CSU Stanislaus)
- PSM Directors' Meeting. All faculty and administrators involved with Professional Science Master's programs in the CSU are invited to a two-hour open discussion of the status of CSU PSM programs and transitions that are underway in the national PSM movement. Organizers: Jill Adler-Moore (Cal Poly Pomona), Dave Dyer (CSU Fullerton), Jim Henderson (CSU Los Angeles), Michael Parrish (San Jose State University), Ching-Hua Wang (CSU Channel Islands); Host: Beth Ambos (CSU Chancellor's Office).