Faculty and Student Travel Grants Programs

Budget, Expense Claim and Reimbursement Guidelines

Applicants must use 2015 Fall Travel Proposal Templates and follow instructions in template for each section.


The maximum award is $1500.

Travel supported with CSUPERB grant funds will fall under the State of California travel regulations as defined by your own CSU campus. Therefore, questions related specifically to travel claim guidelines should be directed to the official within your department or college who is responsible for travel approvals.

CSUPERB grants are issued as a result of an internal competition within the CSU and are not subject to Facilities and Administrative (F&A), or indirect, costs. F&A costs are not allowed as a grant-funded expense in proposals submitted in response to RFPs from programs, like CSUPERB, that receive the majority of their support from legislatively appropriated funds, CSU lottery funds or student fees (including State University fees). The F&A foregone at the campus/auxiliary's federally negotiated off-campus rate may be shown as cost match on the proposal.  This amount may be used by the auxiliary or enterprise fund as an offset to the university's cost allocation plan, in accordance with EO 753/1000.


CSUPERB disburses funds directly to the appropriate college/department(s) at each campus, not directly to the travel grants awardees. Thus faculty and student awardees (except San Diego State University) should submit all paperwork to their own college/department travel clerk rather than to the CSUPERB program office.

Although each campus has somewhat different policies and documents there are usually two different forms (Travel Request Form & Travel Claim Form) that you must complete.

Travel Request Form

Prior to travel you should submit a travel request form to your travel officer. These forms are non-standard and will vary from campus to campus. They may have slightly different names, such as "Request for Absence Form," and will vary in appearance. You should check with your travel officer to be sure you have the correct form, to determine how far in advance of the travel the form is due, and for help completing the form. WARNING: Some campuses will not reimburse your travel, even when it is covered by this grant, if you do not complete this form in advance of your trip.

Travel Expense Claim Form

These forms are also non-standard and will vary from campus to campus.

  • You should check with your travel officer to be sure you have the correct form for your campus and that you have completed it accurately.
  • Two weeks after approval OR two weeks after travel (whichever is later), a Travel Expense Claim Form shall be completed and the original, signed copy accompanied by appropriate original documentation (e.g. airline ticket receipt) shall be submitted to your college/department travel officer.
  • Travel will not be reimbursed if the Travel Expense Claim Form and documentation are not submitted to your college/department travel officer within two weeks after approval or two weeks after travel (whichever is later).

Your CSU campus representative will work with the CSUPERB program office to obtain the travel grant funding. Funding will be in the form of a reimbursement to the campus for the amount of the travel award upon submission of a completed CSUPERB Campus Travel Claim Form and a copy of the campus travel claim document. The CSUPERB program office will provide the CSUPERB Campus Travel Claim Form to your campus representative when a travel grant is awarded. Submission of these documents to the CSUPERB program office should occur within two weeks of your return to your campus from your trip or the grant funds could be forfeited.

Special Note: San Diego State University faculty and student awardees should provide a copy of their already submitted T-2 Request for Absence Form and a completed SDSU Travel Expense Claim Form with original receipts, to James Schmitt in the CSUPERB office within two weeks after approval or two weeks after travel (whichever is later). It is required that your original T-2 form be approved by your department chair and submitted for further campus approvals prior to your travel. Contact James Schmitt for accounting information needed on the T-2.

In cases where the travel grant is awarded after the trip has occurred, faculty should use caution reimbursing expenses with other funds (e.g. a federal research grant) because different funding sources are often incompatible. CSUPERB grants are issued with general State of California funding. As a result CSUPERB will not facilitate reimbursement of CSU auxiliary organization expenditures except in payment of a legitimate invoice, generated by the auxiliary organization, arranged by the awardee.

Contact Information

For questions related to travel reimbursement contact:

James Schmitt
Program Administrator, CSUPERB
(619) 594-5299