Why Do I Need Coverage?
Five reasons why you need insurance
- Things happen. A serious illness or even a simple accident could leave you with devastating bills. One visit to the ER can cost $3,000 or more.
- Insurance pays. It will cover doctor visits, hospital care, prescriptions, maternity, ER services and more.
- Stay healthy. Under the ACA, insurance will provide free preventive care.
- It's time for responsibility. Don't leave your family or other taxpayers with your medical bills.
- It's the law. As of January 1, 2014, most Americans are required to have insurance.
The costs of not having insurance can be huge. A simple case of strep throat averages $344. Food poisoning requiring a night in the hospital: $2838. Concussion? $3,766. Car accident? $14,2741.
You can't plan what will happen to you, but you can be prepared and get insurance to protect yourself from devastating medical costs.
And once the law takes effect, most Americans will be required to have health insurance. (see About the New Law)
1 Healthcare Blue Book: Your Guide to Fair Healthcare Pricing, 2013. Accessed September 2013