CSU Health Insurance Education Project
Open enrollment in Covered California for 2014 coverage has now ended. However, if you are eligible for Medi-Cal you can enroll year-round. Also, some people may become eligible for “special enrollment” in Covered CA outside of the regular open enrollment period if they have a “qualifying life event”.
Under the Affordable Care Act, some of the qualifying events that may enable you to enroll in Covered CA outside of the open enrollment period include:
- Losing your health coverage that is minimum essential coverage
- Losing your health coverage through your parents because you turn 26
- Permanently moving to a new area that has different health insurance options
- Income changes that affect your eligibility for financial assistance to purchase insurance
- Getting married
- Having a baby or adopting a child
For more information about qualifying events and how to get coverage after open enrollment has closed, please visit https://www.coveredca.com/coverage-basics/special-enrollment/
The next open enrollment period in Covered CA for 2015 coverage will start in fall of 2014.
What is the CSU Health Insurance Education Project?
The CSU Health Insurance Education Project (HIEP) is a joint CSU/CSULA project to educate CSU students, their families and campus staffs about the new health insurance law and the opportunity it offers many in the CSU community to get affordable health insurance.
The CSU Health Insurance Education Project has representatives on 12 CSU campuses. To connect with a representative on your campus email the CSU Health Insurance Education Project.