and Serve Community Service-Learning
Please carefully review and follow these steps in administering
the Community Service-Learning pre-course surveys.
- Determine that you have received the total number of survey
forms you requested for your campus. If not, call Season Eckardt
at (562) 951-4787 to request additional forms. Additionally, you
have an envelope for each participating service-learning course.
The envelopes were sent in a separate package from the survey
- You will need to copy the “introductory letter for students,”
and “permission to participate form” to give to each
student sent to you via email. The introductory letter for students
needs to personalized and was sent to you via email. The permission
to participate form was sent via email and is also enclosed in
- Package the correct number of survey forms for each participating
course in the provided envelope.
- Decide in collaboration with the faculty member when you can
attend class to administer the survey. Administer the survey as
early in the academic term as possible but no later than the end
of the second week of the academic term. It has been recommended
by Service-Learning Coordinators that prior to administering the
surveys, call the faculty member to remind him/her about your
scheduled visit. It will take approximately 20 minutes to administer
Please note: The service-learning staff should be the only people
to administer the surveys. Please do not ask the faculty member
to administer the surveys as it can violate students’ rights
- When introducing the survey, you need to state the following
to the participants, “We would like to invite you to participate
in this research study. Your participation is voluntary and you
may choose not to participate without affecting your grade for
the course.” This script needs to be stated verbatim by
whomever administers the survey.
- Distribute the survey forms, introductory letters, and permission
to participate forms to all students. Ask the students to read
the introductory letter and then you can answer any questions
they may have about the pre-course survey. Additionally, each
student needs to complete the permission to participate form and
forward all the permission to participate forms to me. You will
need to provide assistance in completing survey questions #6 and
# 12. Question #6 asks whether the service-learning experience
is optional or required. Question #12 asks for the Course ID.
The Course ID number is the course number listed on the envelope.
If your course number is LS 300 B, you will need to substitute
“B” for a number. Please note the substitution on
the envelope label. You may also want to briefly mention the scale,
which is from “totally agree” to “totally disagree.”
If a student marks “totally agree,” he/she is agreeing
to the statement with certainty.
Feel free to add any pertinent information that will motivate
students to complete the pre-course survey. Students must complete
the pre-course surveys in class and cannot take them home.
- Note: Some classes have the service-learning experience as
an optional assignment. Students should complete the survey, even
if they do not know whether they will participate in the service-learning
- Collect the completed surveys and permission to participate
forms and put them in the return envelope provided. Note: for
each class, the surveys and permission slip from students who
choose not to participate should be stapled together.
- Remove any blank survey forms from the envelope. Save these
extra survey forms for next semester.
- Complete or revise the information on the data collection label,
which is affixed to the front of the envelope. Ensure that you
have provided the following:
- name of course instructor (for identification purposes
- course number and title;
- official class enrollment # from class roster;
- survey administration date;
- number of completed surveys; and
- circle whether service learning is “optional”
or “required” in the course.
- Describe on a piece of paper if there were any survey administration
problems that potentially could invalidate the results.
- Package all completed surveys and the permission slips from
your campus and send them by UPS Ground or Fed Ex to:
Coordinator of Service-Learning Programs
CSU, Office of the Chancellor
401 Golden Shore, 6th Floor
Long Beach, CA 90802-4210
Important: Please obtain a tracking number from the delivery service
in case of a delivery problem.
Please send an email to Season Eckardt, email@example.com,
to advise her that your surveys have been sent.
Thank you for your help and cooperation with this process!