The first mention in text should always be the complete, formal name of the campus. Because many Chancellor’s Office publications and events include all the campuses, consistency is important.
Use no commas in shortened campus names. Continue using a comma when the full campus name is spelled out. (Please note Maritime, Channel Islands and San Marcos do not have a comma in their formal names. The correct names are California State University Maritime Academy, California State University Channel Islands and California State University San Marcos.)
When it is obvious that the writer is referring to campuses in the system, using the location name only would suffice. For example, “The enrollments at Long Beach and San José have increased.”
Please note the order of Polytechnic and State when referring to Pomona and San Luis Obispo. The correct names are:
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
If it is necessary to use a shortened campus name when many or all campuses are mentioned, we recommend the following abbreviations.
• For Bakersfield, Channel Islands, Chico, Dominguez Hills, East Bay, Fullerton, Long Beach, Monterey Bay, Northridge, Sacramento, San Bernardino and San Marcos:
CSU (Location Name)
• For Fresno, Humboldt, San Diego, San Francisco, San José, Sonoma and Stanislaus:
(Location Name) State
• For Pomona and San Luis Obispo:
Cal Poly (Location Name)
• For CSU Maritime Academy:
• For California State University, Los Angeles
Cal State L.A.