Awards & Recognition
Paul Oliaro, Ph.D.
Dr. Paul Oliaro is currently the Vice President for Student Affairs at California State University, Fresno. "Dr. O," as he is more commonly known, has served as an innovative and committed leader for alcohol, tobacco and other drug safety on campus, in the local community, within the California State University (CSU) System and on the state level since he arrived at Fresno State back in 2002. Dr. O serves as the Chair for the Alcohol Tobacco and Other Drugs Safety Council (ATODSC) at Fresno State with the goal of implementing the CSU Alcohol policy and providing leadership to alcohol and other drug safety educational activities.
- As the Chair of the ATODSC, he has been highly effective at Obtaining representation from numerous academic, student affairs and public safety leaders from across campus as well as representation from the surrounding community such as law enforcement and alcoholic beverage control.
- Under Dr. O's leadership, this Council has been recognized at previous CSU Alcohol Conferences with a Leadership Excellence Award, five Outstanding Student Awards and an Outstanding Community Collaboration Award.
- Additionally, Dr. O is highly regarded by both Associated Students as well as all students across the campus.
- He never hesitates to remind his staff and those who work along with him, about the importance of providing high quality service to students and he is always accessible to students who seek his council.
- Despite his busy schedule both on and off campus, Dr. O demonstrates his support by attending and participating in all alcohol, tobacco and other drug safety events on campus. Whether he's making welcoming remarks, thanking the student leaders and volunteers for their planning efforts or showing off his dancing shoes, he always manages to be there.
- Within the CSU System, Dr. O has demonstrated his commitment to alcohol safety by serving as the host for three different Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) grants which provided funding for all CSU campuses to reduce drinking and driving as well as alcohol related misconduct. He currently serves as the Chair of the CSU Alcohol Steering Committee.
- On a state level, Dr. O was appointed by the Governor to serve on the Governor's Prevention Advisory Council and, as part of this appointment, serves on the CASBIRT Subcommittee.
Dr. O consistently forges ahead, creates dynamic and solid partnerships and provides outstanding leadership for comprehensive alcohol, tobacco and other drug programming at Fresno State, within the CSU System and on a statewide level. There is no one more deserving of this award than Dr. Paul Oliaro.