Awards & Recognition
James E. Lange, Ph.D
San Diego State University
Dr. Lange is a leader in alcohol, tobacco, and other drug (ATOD) prevention. He is a highly respected researcher, educator, author, and mentor. Dr. Lange is the Coordinator of AOD Initiatives for San Diego State University where he developed and implemented an award winning comprehensive prevention strategy and the highly successful Aztec Nights. He is also an Adjunct Professor in the Psychology Department and in the School of Social Work and Doctoral Faculty for the Graduate School of Public Health. His extensive research, published articles, and trainings have made a tremendous impact towards advancing the field of ATOD prevention, specifically addressing marijuana, binge drinking, impaired driving, underage drinking, tobacco use, prescription drug abuse, and emerging drugs.
Dr. Lange’s work focuses on evidence-based, environmental interventions. Here are just a few highlights of Dr. Lange’s extensive work. Dr. Lange:
- Has presented extensively including: the American Public Health Association; American College Health Association; NASPA General Conference and AOD Conference; The Network - Addressing Collegiate Alcohol and Other Drug Issues, and the CSU AOD Conferences in Chico, Fresno, Dominguez Hills, and Long Beach.
- Continues to serve as California’s Regional Coordinator for The Network, consistently providing outstanding educational and networking opportunities to California’s colleges and universities.
- Continues his collaboration with RADD – the Entertainment Industry’s Voice for Road Safety to reduce drunk driving by co-developing an assessment instrument to evaluate RADD’s interventions which will be used by CSUs, UCs, and private universities.
- Has taken the lead on preparing California colleges and universities for potential marijuana legalization through his presentations and trainings including a webinar he developed, “Marijuana Prevention in a Legalized Environment”.
- Has assisted with planning several CSU AOD Conferences, including this year’s conference at CSU Channel Islands.
- Has helped organize and lead the AOD Coordinators meeting, held at many CSU AOD Conferences.
There is no equal among Dr. Lange’s peers for his knowledge and expertise of ATOD issues. He is known as California higher education’s “go-to” expert for the most current ATOD information. Dr. Lange is an outstanding educator, whose commitment and contributions to the CSU system are well known and greatly appreciated. Indeed, his work has touched us all. Dr. Lange is selfless in his dedication to his field and his peers. He never fails to assist a colleague in need with education, programming, or guidance. We can think of no one more deserving of the Chancellor’s Award…an award long overdue for such a tireless, dedicated professional.