Academic Senate

Report of the Faculty Trustee

Steven Stepanek, Faculty Trustee (Northridge)

May 2016
article image
This Month's Issue
Front Page
Message from the ASCSU Chair
Report of the Faculty Trustee
Reports from Standing Committees

Academic Affairs
 
Academic Preparation &
   Education Programs
Faculty Affairs
Fiscal and Governmental
   Affairs

General Education Advisory Committee (GEAC)
Capitol Watch
The California State University Emeriti and Retired Faculty Association (CSUERFA)
Book Review - Lesson Plan
Resolution Summaries

Faculty Salaries and the CSU Budget
On May 24, 2016, The California State University (CSU) Board of Trustees (BOT) ratified a new Unit 3 Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement.  Four key salary increases in that agreement:

  • A 5% General Salary Increase (GSI) on June 30, 2016 for all faculty on active pay status or on leave.
  • A 2% GSI on July 1, 2016 for all faculty on active pay status or on leave.
  • A 3.5% GSI on July 1, 2017 for all faculty on active pay status or on leave.
  • A 2.65% Service Salary Increase (SSI) during fiscal year 2017-18 for eligible faculty.

 

How is the CSU funding these increases?  The 2015-16 fiscal year budget is fixed and mostly spent.  The 2016-17 fiscal year budget for the CSU was prepared and approved by the Board of Trustees in the fall of 2015 and is in the process of final deliberations with state legislators and the Governor as part of the overall state budget.  The Board will start reviewing a draft 2017-18 fiscal year budget in the fall of 2016 that will address the funding requirements of this and other CSU collective bargaining agreements effective that fiscal year.

 

So the question really is, how will the CSU cover the approximate 7% in faculty salaries that commence in 2016-17?  Well, it turns out the 2015-16 CSU budget included a 2% increase for most CSU employees.  Because of the reopener of the Unit 3 salary discussions, the 2015-16 2% increase for faculty was held in abeyance.  As part of the Unit 3 contract settlement, there is no retroactive pay for 2015-16 so the amount allocated for that 2% faculty increase will be a one-time rollover to 2016-17.  The CSU budget for 2016-17 provides for another 2% increase for most CSU employees on top of the 2% increase in 2015-16.  For faculty this means the CSU budget for 2016-17 contains an overall 4% increase in their salaries. Add to these funds the 2% being rolled over from 2015-16 and we have the equivalent of a 6% increase in faculty salaries.  To achieve the approximate 7% increase called for in the Collective Bargaining Agreement, each campus is responsible for finding the funds to cover the remaining approximate 1% increase in faculty salaries.  So, with the 2% rollover from 2015-16, the 4% in the 2016-17 budget and the 1% in campus funding, the 2016-17 increases in faculty salaries are covered.

 

Looking beyond 2016-17, the entire CSU community needs to come together to campaign state leadership for sufficient state funding to support the well desired salary increases for CSU employees that were reached through collective bargaining.

 

My full reports on Board of Trustee meetings can be found at: http://www.calstate.edu/AcadSen/Records/Faculty_Trustee