Professional development opportunities shall include:
- a fee waiver program;
- sabbatical leaves;
- difference in pay leaves;
- professional leaves without pay;
- short-term absence with pay for approved conferences, workshops, and other professional meetings;
- faculty exchange programs within and outside the CSU;
- administrative intern programs;
- reduction in assigned Weighted Units or other work responsibilities to pursue scholarly activities, training or retraining of benefit to the CSU;
- specialized work schedules to pursue scholarly activities, training or retraining of benefit to the CSU; and
- assignment to a reduced teaching load pursuant to Article 20, Assignment of Responsibility, Workload, and Schedules, of this Agreement.
Application procedures by which an eligible faculty unit employee may request a professional development opportunity shall be determined by the President, except when such procedures are provided elsewhere in this Agreement.
A faculty unit employee who meets the eligibility requirements of a specific program listed in provision 25.1 of this Article may request such a professional opportunity.
The President shall determine if the request for a professional development opportunity shall be granted and, if so, what costs, if any, shall be borne by the campus. The President may establish requirements that a faculty unit employee shall meet upon completion of a professional development opportunity. The faculty unit employee shall be notified in writing of the decision and such requirements, if any. A denial of the request for professional development opportunity shall include the reasons for such denial.
June 12, 2007