CSEA TENTATIVE AGREEMENT
April 23, 2002
On April 18, 2002 negotiators for the CSU and the CSEA reached tentative
agreement on a new 3-year contract for employees in bargaining units 2,
5, 7 & 9. A summary of the major terms of the new agreement is as
- A 1.5% general salary increase effective on July 1, 2002.
- A $10,000 life insurance policy for all benefit eligible employees.
- A rural health care lump sum stipend of $500 to those employees determined
by PERS to be in an area with no PERS-approved Health Maintenance Organization
provider on April 2002.
- Fee Waiver for dependents of CSEA bargaining unit employees effective
August 1, 2002.
- Employee participation in the CSU Pre-Tax Parking Fee Deduction Plan.
- Employee participation in the CSU Health Care Reimbursement (HCRA)
- Minimum in-range progressions of three percent. Each campus shall
within six months develop guidelines for these increases, and both the
decision to award these increases and application of campus guidelines
are not subject to either the complaint or grievance procedure.
- An increase from 32 to 40 hours in the maximum amount of any catastrophic
- An increase in funeral leave to 5 days regardless of funeral travel
- An increase in maternity/paternity leave to 30 days, which must be
used with 60 days of arrival of the child.
- Reassign employees on jury duty from compressed/irregular schedules
to a Monday- Friday work schedule.
- The following three new articles are added to the contract: Cruise
Employees, Non Discrimination, and Labor Management Committees.
- Provision 5.11d time union release time terms are amended to require
that requests are to be from CSEA headquarters directly to the Office
of the Chancellor, and that 288 days of this leave must be used for
on-campus business with the remaining current 288 days for union business
away from the home campus. All union reimbursable leave requests must
be submitted no less than five days in advance of the leave date or
it is deemed denied.
- The parties may agree to uses the expedited American Arbitration Association
arbitration procedures for Health and Safety grievances.
- The parties may agree that supervisors have another administrative
representative at Level One of both the Complaint and Grievance procedures.
- Vacancies for emergency temporary appointments of 180 days or less
need not be posted, and such appointments may be renewed up to but not
beyond 180 days, with the appointee becoming a member of the bargaining
unit on the 91st day of employment.
- The following changes are made regarding probationary employment appeal
rights in exchange for the withdrawal of pending legislation on these
- Employees shall be evaluated by the end of the third, sixth and
- An employee rejected from probation after six months in probationary
status may use the complaint procedure starting at level III to
appeal this decision only in cases where alleging that the evaluation
procedures were not followed, or the decision to reject was either
discriminatory, arbitrary or capricious.
- If a complaint is not resolved at the Chancellor's Office level
review, the complaint may be expedited to binding mediation, with
the mediator's authority limited to affirming or revoking the decision
to reject during probation.
- In cases where an employee has an unrestricted medical return to work;
the appropriate administrator believes the employee is unable to perform
the job duties and the employee is unable to be at work while the decision
is being reviewed, the employee must be placed on administrative leave.
- Upon written request by CSEA, the CSU shall meet and confer on negotiable
YRO implementation issues at each campus.
- The custodian, lead custodian, laborer, and maintenance and laborer
trainee classifications will be reviewed for possible revision.
- A custodial labor-management committee is established to assess issues
related to cleaning levels, square footage, cleaning methods, safety,
equipment, and workload.
The agreement is a three-year agreement with salary and benefits reopeners
in 2003-04 and 2004-05. We will post the new contract language on the
CSU web page within the next few days.
Last updated: April 26, 2002