Instructional Leadership Initiative
Module III: Building Capacity for Standards-based Instruction
This section presents research on classroom practice associated
with helping all students achieve to high standards. The intent
is that through reading and discussing research articles teachers
will reflect on their own practice, consider the research
findings and incorporate new research-based practices into
the design of their instructional units.
- Read and discuss research articles
- Handout #19 - Article: CRESST Line, Pamela R. Ashbacher,
"Developing Indicators of Classroom Practice to Monitor
and Support School Reform," Winter 2000.
- Handout #20 - Article: Education Week, Research Notes,
"Chicago Study: Student Rise to Challenging Assignments,"
Vol. 19, Number 10, page 10, 1999.
- Handout #21: Building Capacity for Standards-based Instruction
- Overhead #16: Classroom practices from Aschbacher article
- Overhead #17: Findings from Aschbacher article
- Overhead #18: Classroom Practices & Findings from Chicago
To download the full Module III: Building Capacity for Standards-based
Instruction, use the mouse to right-click on the Word Document
Icon or the PDF icon link, choose "Save Target As," then select
a location on your computer. On Apple computers, hold the
Option key while you click on the link. PDF documents require
Adobe Acrobat Reader. Microsoft Word documents require Word
2000 and above.
- Module 3
894KB) Building Capacity for Standards-based Instruction
It is our intention that teachers use the sections of the
Facilitator's Guide that match your particular outcomes or
goals and that teachers also review, revise as necessary,
and use the standards-based instructional units that meet
If you have further questions regarding the use of these
units or materials, please contact: Julie Torres at WestEd
at 415-615-3111 or Jtorres@wested.org.