CSU-Paid Basic Term Life and
The Standard Life Insurance Company (The Standard)
is the CSUs insurance carrier for employer-paid basic term
life and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance.
To be eligible for CSU-paid basic term life and AD&D insurance:
- An employee must be appointed at least half-time (equivalent
to 7.5 Weighted Teaching Units for academic year appointments)
for more than six months in an eligible employee category.
- If employed in an R03 Lecturer or Coach Academic Year position, employee must be appointed for at least six (6) weighted teaching units for at least one semester, or two or more consecutive quarter terms.
- Qualifying appointments may be either permanent or temporary.
Once an employee has acquired eligibility and has been enrolled
in The Standard plan, he/she may continue enrollment during subsequent
continuous appointments of at least half-time regardless of the
duration of the new appointment.
Employees excluded from benefits include:
- Intermittent employees
- Student assistants
- Graduate assistants
- Faculty employed solely to teach summer session, extension,
or intersession, or
- Any employee paid from funds not controlled by the California
State University or from revolving or similar funds from which
a regular California State University premium payment cannot be